Year 3

....Fighting ignorance and apathy one class period at a time...

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Mrs. Rieger gets T-U-F-F

I broke up a fight today.

Not an every day occurance at our school, but not totally uncommon either.

I was walking past a crowd of kids that are typically pretty loud and rowdy anyway. Suddenly, the noise and the scuffling escalated until two boys, both much larger than I am, were standing nose to nose with their hands around each others' throats. Of course, I HAD to jump in.

"Stop it!! Stop it right now!" I screamed, like a ninny. I stepped in between them and waved my arms wildly. "You two both cut it out!"

They broke apart when a third boy pushed one away from the other.

I told one of the kids to follow me into the back entrance of the office, while another teacher took the other kid in the front entrance. After the dust had settled and I had reported to the Principal what I had witnessed, I walked back to my classroom.

As the adrenaline began to wear off, I started to think about what had just happened. Maybe I had made an impression on them. In fact, I was pretty proud of myself. That fight could have gotten a lot uglier had I not flexed my experienced "teacher muscles" on them to break it up, right? Maybe my far-to-friendly exterior is finally getting tough enough to match my no-nonsense attitude!

After the next class, I remembered where I had been going when I stopped to play peace maker. Headed out again, I walked past the same area where a few of the kids had gathered again.

I overheard one boy say to another, "Yeah, and So-n-So wasn't even trying! I mean, MRS. RIEGER was holding him back."

Ok, I have GOT to start working out.

Right after I reward myself with a chocolate ice cream cone and a stack of cookies at lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment